About This Wine
Plungerhead is Zinfandel for Zinfandel lovers.
As the vintner likes to say, it’s made with character for characters. An avant-garde collection of grapes from various California growing regions showcases virtually all the flavors we love in Zin. A majority of the cuvee comes from the Lodi growing district.
The 2010 growing season in Lodi was long and cool. The heat spiked a few times, but Zinfandel prefers even more heat. So it was decided to let the fruit hang... and hang... until the growers cried, “Uncle!” Needless to say, the fruit ultimately harvested was extremely concentrated in aromas and flavors.
The cool season also led to a lower alcohol level, and tannins that are firm and mature. Pair the Zin with a splash of Lodi Petite Sirah for color and black fruit, and a little Paso Robles Syrah for finesse, and you have what the Plungerhead vintner considers his best wine yet.
California's own grape variety. Red Zinfandel (not to be confused with "white" Zinfandel) can produce full-bodied wines packed with ripe berry fruit and smooth tannins. Flavors of blackberries and spicy pepper.
- Grape Composition:92% Zinfandel, 6% Petite Sirah and 2% Syrah
- Grape Source:Lodi Area of California
- Aromas & Flavors:Black Raspberry, Cherry, Pomegranate, Molasses, White Pepper and Walnut
- When to Drink:Now Through 2015
- Food Pairing Suggestionroasted pork tenderloin, or black olive pizza.