About This Wine
There seem to be two “kinds” of California Pinot Noir in the marketplace today.
One would be extremely limited, extremely expensive bottlings from long-time Pinot Noir makers. The other would be mass-produced, characterless wines that are seemingly taking advantage of Pinot’s popularity. In recent years, there has been little room for smaller production renditions at affordable prices.
That’s where Block Nine comes in. With veteran vintner Larry Levin (formerly of Dry Creek Vineyard and Icon Estates) overseeing the cellar, Block Nine from Caiden’s Vineyards makes nothing but Pinot Noir. And he’s obviously not only focused on the job at hand, but having fun doing it.
“The 2011 vintage is a beautifully long and rich wine,” he enthuses. “The aromas exhibit generous bright fruit, the wine is silky in the mouth with good body, and the finish is seductive and complex.” Take a sip, and you’ll wish there were more Pinot Noir bottlings of this type.
About Pinot Noir
Very sensitive to climate and handling in winery, this fickle grape of Burgundy yields low tannin and acidity, medium colors and lifespan. Classic berry, cherry and currant flavors, silky textures typically balanced with spicy or floral tones.
- Grape Composition:100% Pinot Noir
- Grape Source:Select Vineyards in Various California Growing Regions
- Aromas & Flavors:Ripe Cherry, Strawberry, Violets, Plum, Tea, Clove and Sandalwood
- Aging Vessels:French Oak Barrels
- When to Drink:Now Through 2016
- Food Pairing Suggestionsalmon, or a grilled sirloin steak.