About This Wine
A great deal of care goes into the crafting of Silver Pony Ranch Merlot.
As with all exceptional wines, the story begins in the vineyard — or, in this case, vineyards. Silver Pony Ranch makes a Merlot cuvee, sourcing grapes from several growing areas of California, and then blending in a few other red varieties to enhance complexity.
The “secret” extends to the cellar, where the Silver Pony Ranch winemaker has adopted what amounts to a “hands-off” approach. Rather than fermenting and/or aging the wine for an extended period in oak barrels, the vintner opts for “neutral” stainless steel tanks. This allows the natural aromas and flavors of the grapes to shine through.
Then, much in the spirit of Beaujolais Nouveau, Silver Pony Ranch bottles and releases the finished wine while it’s still in its youth and brimming with personality. It’s an engaging, gregarious, delicious taste of California Merlot — the way California Merlot was intended to taste.
Similar to Cabernet Sauvignon but with less tannin and fruit. Delivers earlier maturing wines. Often blended with Cabernet; on its own may soften with age, though fruit flavors may fade.
- Grape Composition:Merlot and Other Red Varieties
- Grape Source:Select Vineyards in Various California Growing Regions
- Aromas & Flavors:Plum, Cherry, Blackberry, Cocoa and a Hint of Pepper
- Aging Vessels:Assorted Oak Barrels and Stainless Steel Tanks
- When to Drink:Now Through 2014
- Food Pairing Suggestionred meat dishes, or grilled chicken.